Monday, June 8, 2009

city home and job (spanish below)

I'm now writing from my new home!!! I found this house because of an argentinian that recommended it to me, so I booked my place in a room and moved yesterday, monday 8th. It's a great location because it's quite central.
What about accommodation options in sydney? -You can get a flatmate and rent a flat, -get a rooom in a kind of residence (keep out of backpackers ones!!), I really don't like this option. The thing is like this, you have a room with a microwave and fridge but they are more like hostels rather than houses, so you might find yourself living in a room.- And another options is a shared house, I found this one I was determined about moving in to it, it has a living room, a room with a coach and tv/dvd, a courtyard,5 rooms and a kitchen, it's a home!! You pay a weekly rent to the owner of the house, that does not stay here.
Here we live 12 people, mostly girls and 4 boys I think, I haven't met all.
I share the room, it's quite big so it's ok, it has a balcony. It's flashback to the times when sharing room with my sisters !! I really like this house!!
So simoultaneously I started working in this Tango cafe. Luckily, the timing home-work was accurate, I couldn't have made it if I was still staying in Stanwell Park, because I had a looong train trip and I was getting tired.
So these days I've been doing night shifts and I'll probably be doing some morning shifts.
What's the job about? Well, I set the twelve tables, cuttlery, candles; I receive the people coming in, place them in a table if possible, saving them the decision of where to sit down,I take the order, this is done in duplicate,writing down the table number, the order with the specific abreviations so it's clear enough for the chef, the original goes to the kitchen, to the chef, and the duplicate goes for Orlando that makes coffees (they are asked at any time, also with dinner, delicious coffee with its variants). Then I have to follow up every table, When the dish is ready to be served I have to take it to the respective table and pinch the order indicating it's now done and the chef has it all in order and I have the right order for billing.
I do the table service, and I take the dishes to the back, I rinse them in a sink and place them in the dishwasher. But I have to be aware if someone's coming in, or ready to order, or ready to pay, uff I need to have my 4 eyes open, and my hands agile. During peak hours you have to be very quick and run. I have to use my memory, because tough having everything written downI have to remember who ordered what, appealing more and more to memory aids (faces,looking, nationality,clothes colours).
It also happens that people might change from table!! Frrom the other side I dindn't know this might cause confussion, but now I know, jaja if they moved because they're cold, or just because they felt so, I have to pay attention and change the number in the order, because other people will take their previous table and if I was in the back for example and I skip that then it's a mess for billing.
Yesterday here was a holiday and it was busy! I was in the side of people who works when people have their day off, jaja it's ok, I like to serve because I imagine they work in an office and so they deserve it.
Then when the peak hour passed I could relax and talk to the people, have my beer with the team and the chef cooked me some food, and I also could take my lunch for today..
What I've obersved from people coming to the restaurante is that, in general, australians, specially adults, are very respectful and sort of timid, these makes them easy going. Argentinian or Latins that come are more talkative, and some don't lose the chance to chatter. so argentinians!
Well, I'm now going to the supermarket because I have to buy some stuff.
Tonight I have a trial in a very glamourous restaurante, I hope I go well, so I can combine shifts with the tango cafe and getting paid from these I'd be able to do unpaid jobs in places where I'm interested in !!! You know, hospitality is not my primary goal.





casa en la ciudad y trabajo

Estoy escribiendo desde mi nueva casita!! Llegue a esta casa por medio de una argentina que me la recomendo, asi que ni bien la vi reserve lugar en un cuarto y me mude ayer, lunes 8. La ubicacion es excelente porque es bastante centrica.
Como es el tema con el alojamiento en sydney?- podes conseguirte un compañero/a de departamento y compartirlo,- alquilar un cuarto en un estilo de residencias (mantenerse lejos de las de mochileros!!!), a mi no me gusta para nada esta opcion. La cosa es asi, tenes tu cuarto con microondas, heladera pero son tipo hostels mas que casa, probablemnte te encuentres viviendo en un cuarto..- Y otra opcion es una casa compartida. Encontre estac asa y estaba decididisima a mudarme aca, tiene un living, un cuarto de estar con sillon, tv/dvd, un patio, 5 cuartos y una cocina, lindo hogar!Pagas el alquiler por semana a la dueña que no vive aca.
Somos 12 personas viviendo aca, la mayoria mujeres y 4 chicos creo. Todavia no conoci a todos.
Comparto cuarto, es bastante grande asi que esta bien, tiene balconcito. Me hace acordar a cuando compartia el cuarto con mis sistes!! Me copa esta casa!!
Simultaneamente empece a trabajar en el Tango cafe, el timing casa-trabajo fue preciso, no creo que pudiera seguir haciendolo si siguiera en stanwell park, porque tenia muchoooo viaje en tren y era muy cansador.
Asi que estos dias estuve haciendo el turno de la noche y probablemente haga tambien algunos de la mañana.
De que se trata el laburo? Bueno, preparo las doce mesas, cubiertos, velas; recibo a la gente que llega, los ubico en una mesa si es posible, asi les ahorro la decision de donde sentarse, tomo la orden en duplicado, anoto el numero de mesa y el pedido segun las abreviaciones especificas del menu para que quede bien claro para el chef, el original va a la cocina, al chef, y el duplicado va para Orlando que hace los cafes (salen en todo momento, incluso acompañando la comida, riquisimos cafes en todas sus variantes). Tengo que hacer el seguimiento de cada mesa. Cuando esta listo el plato para servir lo llevo a la mesa correspondiente y pincho el papel con el pedido indicando que ya salio asi el chef tiene todo ordenado y yo tengo todo bajo control para despues cobrar.
Levanto la mesa, llevo los platos al fondo, los enjuago y los pongo en el lavaplatos. Pero tengo que estar atenta si alguien esta entrando o si hay alguien listo para pedir, o pagar, uff necesito tener cuatro ojos y las manos agiles. En las horas pico hay que ser muy rapida y corres un poco. Usar la memoria, porque aunque tenga todo anotado tengo que acordarme quien pidio que, apelando a los tips de ayuda-memoria (cara,look,nacionalidad, color de ropa).
Tambien puede pasar que la gente se cambie de mesa!! Estando del otro lado , clienta, ni sabia que esto confunde a los mozos, pero ahora lo se, jaja si se trasladan porque tienen frio, o porque les pinto, tengo que prestar atencion y cambiar el numero de mesa en el papel de la orden, porque en la mesa anterior va a senatrse gente nueva y si yo estoy atras y me pierdo de ver ese movimiento se hace lio para cobrar.
Ayer era feriado y estuvo bastante lleno!!Asi que ahi estaba del lado de los que trabajan cuando la gente descansa, jaja esta todo bien, me gusta atenderlos porque pienso que si laburan en una oficina se lo merecen.
Despues cuando pasa la hora pico me puedo relajar y charlar con la gente, tomar una cerveza con el equipo y el chef me cocina algo, y me lleve comida rica para mi almuerzo de hoy..
Un poco lo que observe de la gente que viene al restaurante es que, en general los australianos, en especial los adultos, son muy respetuosos y algo timidos, lo que los hace faciles de tratar.Los argentinos y/o latinos que vienen son mas charlatanes, y algunos no pierden oportunidad de chamuyar. tan argentinos!
Bueno, me voy al supermercado que no tengo nada aca.
Hoy a la noche tengo un 'trial' que es prueba/training en un restaurante de mucho glamour, espero que me vaya bien, asi combino turnos con el tango cafe y con estos trabajos pagos hacer horas en otro trabajos que me interesan aunque no me paguen!! Ya que restaurantes no es mi principal meta.

3 comments:

  1. Clers, estoy copada con tu blog! Sos grosa escribiendo, trasmitis muchoooo y encima es bilingue!!
    Te mando un beso enorme, me alegra que estés ya con laburo y super canchera en Sydney!!!
    BESO ENORMEE
    Clarita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clers!
    Que bueno es leerte..
    Segui disfrutando y haciendonos participe de esta experiencia!
    Beso Enorme
    Tweety.

    ReplyDelete
  3. me intriga verlas a vos y malu andando por estos lugares!!! hace no tanto!!

    gracias ceci , vos haces los platos, yo los sirvo! xq ya sos casi cocinera no??

    besos!

    ReplyDelete